1.29.2014

The Rights of The Reader

I'm currently taking a class about teaching reading to children.  It's called The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child.  Well, if nothing else comes of this, it is definitely awakening the reader in me!  I joined a book club and am getting excited about reading again.

In one of the chapters, the author references "The Rights of the Reader" by French author Daniel Pennac.  I figured I'd share, because I really think it empowers all of us as readers.  Enjoy!
  • The right to not read.
  • The right to skip pages.
  • The right to not finish.
  • The right to reread.
  • The right to read anything.
  • The right to escapism.
  • The right to read anywhere.
  • The right to browse.
  • The right to read out loud.
  • The right not to defend your tastes.
Happy reading (and happy hump day)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment