1.31.2013

Liberal Catholic

Doesn't seem possible right?  A liberal Catholic. But I am!  And proud of it...and I know I'm not alone!  I attended a retreat this past weekend, and though it was held at a Catholic Church, it was open to women of all denominations.  I loved it.  I loved that the whole weekend was centered around building a faith community, and not necessarily in a Church. 

I took a lot away from the retreat, and there is a lot that I am still processing.  But this week has resulted in some unusual actions from me, like listening to Christian Radio and reading Catholic news online...what?!  Out of the ordinary right?  I don't know how long those habits will last, but I did like this one article I stumbled upon. 

I am all for gay marriage, ALL. FOR. IT.  And I'm not ashamed to admit it.  So it has been, at times, hard to sit through marriage ceremonies of friends who had Christian ceremonies and their pastor emphasised that marriage is between a MAN and a WOMAN.  And it has, at times, been difficult to admit being Catholic with the Church's formal stand against gay marriage. However, not all of us Catholics are as conservative as the Vatican.  Some of us agree that the marriage of a gay couple is still a marriage under God, and some of us wish that priests could marry, and that women should be able to be priests...so I was happy to read this article below.  I don't believe in every statement the guy makes, but I love that agrees that marriage between a gay or lesbian couple can still be a sacrament and is still an example of God's love for all humanity.

http://ncronline.org/news/faith-parish/baltimore-pastor-speaks-his-mind-homily-same-sex-marriage

I hope you all have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment