7.17.2010

The Wedding Experience - Engagement

On December 13th, 2008, I was out to dinner with my friends Ashley, Chelsey and Lindsie enjoying some delicious sushi at TAKI in Des Moines! As we're on our way home, I keep getting texts from Ryan that are saying, "Where are you?" and "When will you be home?" I was confused by these texts because he usually doesn't really care.

When I finally got home, to eliminate some unnecessary details, let's just say I didn't even kiss him or pay attention to surroundings, I immediately changed into sweatpants, took my make up off, and took my hair down. As I walked back our toward the living room, I had to do a double take to the bedroom...

There were candles EVERYWHERE and rose petals on the floor and bed. There were a dozen roses on the dresser and my teddy bear with a little black box in front of him on the bed. I immediately said quite slowly, with my mouth covered by my hands, "Oh. My. God"


The engagement was a complete surprise, I didn't even know how to react. I'm sure it was kind of funny! I walk toward the box and opened it and there was nothing in it! So I turn back towards the door and Ryan is down on one knee with the ring in his hand. He said some sweet, between us things, but then asked me if I would make his wish come true (referencing wishes we made a couple years back at Six Flags) and marry him. Of course I said yes!

Ryan picked out the ring all by himself and I must say, he did a fabulous job! That night, we called our parents to let them know, which was very exciting, but then we just enjoyed the night together and waited to tell our friends until the next day.

We had dinner plans with Andy and Ashley that night, and I wanted to tell them in person, so I made phone calls to my other friends and told them to keep it quiet until they saw it on facebook. Telling Andy and Ashley in person was exciting, it's just too bad I didn't have the ring because we took it in to get it sized! But all in all, it was such a fun moment in our relationship and the planning process began almost right away!


Once we had decided on the date of April 10, 2010, we knew we could take a little more time on some of the planning, as well as the engagement pictures. Our friend Jessi took our pictures the summer of 2009 in Des Moines at Grays Lake Park and some gardens across the street. She did a marvelous job!

It was very exciting including so many friends in the engagement and planning process. I am so grateful for the memories we've made and the good friends and supportive family we are blessed with. Thank you all for everything!


No comments:

Post a Comment